Saturday, May 9, 2009

Another shitty day

  • Getting up at 5am
  • Catching the 6 am train to college
  • Running from door to door, department to department in the sweltering sun
  • Taking the evening train back home
Why you ask ? Well if you are pretty sure that you've done well in a certain subject and you expect a good enough grade, then its quite a shock when the grades come out and you realize that every other guy who can hold a damn pen has got a better grade than you have. So off I go to Kgp in the hope that the man who taught me will be good enough to let me see my endsemester marks. I figure that since I'd got 32 in my midsemesters and ended up with a grade B while guys who got 15, 17, 20 etc ended up two grades better than me, then the only way they could have done so was by getting atleast 25-30 marks more than me, which means they got atleast 50-60 marks more in the endsemesters. Assuming they got 100, I must have got atmot 40 for this travesty to take place, right? But I was expecting 80+ !! 
So there I am, on the train to Kgp... confident that my plight will be heard, and after a consolatory pat on the back, I'd be shown my endsem marks after which hopefully, all will be fine. Everything is fine with the world when I reach the damn place...and to give a better wrap of what took place, here's an excerpt of the conversation that took place between me and the guy entrusted with teaching us basic electronics (yes I got a B in Basic Ec...) ::

me :: Sir can I please see my endsem marks ?
Man :: NO.
me :: But why ?
Man :: Because there are 300 of you students in this course and I won't search for each and every person's paper.
Me :: Not everyone, sir, only mine...Sir I'll search myself.
Man :: NO.
Me :: But Sir its important. I got 32 in my midsem !!
Man :: SO ?
Me :: Sir people who got 15, 17 have got EX, how could I have...
Man :: JUST ACCEPT YOUR GRADE AND GET LOST.
Me :: But...
Man :: What do you want to say?
Me :: Sir...
Man :: NO. You just see your grade and go.
Me :: ...
Man :: GET OUT.


So what I realize is that I'm not going to get to see my marks either because
  1. The idiot doesn't want to search for my paper.. (That doesn't sound right, does it? Not the sort of thing you would expect from a teacher, esp one at a premier institution like IIT)
  2. Or there is some other reason that he won't tell me about. (Which again sounds too wierd)
Anyway,  so there I am, standing without a clue as to what to do next, and I think to myself," as long as I'm here, why don't I check out my marks in Materials Processing. afterall that grade will be good, I got 47/60 in my midems !!" Off I prance to my department to know my grade, which shall, I hope, give me a lift.... the Prof checks an excel sheet, and he announces my grade..its a ..wait for it...a C !!!! Awesome... just awesome.... went with the flow of the day. Apparently I did so badly in my endsems that I got a C. Now, I'm stuck with a cg just below 8.. and I feel like I've been robbed. 
As a friend of mine said, "abey iit mein aake kya hua hai abhi tak achcha ?? hamesha luck kharab hi hua hai...exam hum achcha dete ahin, grade koi aur le aata hai.. " Now I realize what he meant.. poor guy.

Anyway, well thats the way things are... and heres to the great institution that is IIT and its even greater teachers... CHEERS !!!


5 comments:

Arun said...

Forget the grades dude, you have a great brain (I know this because I worked with you at IURS workshop). Grades are nothing much when compared to what you've got. Try to work on some good projects, get a journal paper done and try to land in a good internship. And try to score better next time. I am sure you are going to do great, especially with your big brain :)

In case you really want to see your answer sheets, you can file an RTI (Right to information act) request for it. Even JEE mark sheets are to be produced if this act is invoked. But I would say, use the energy to work on an interesting project!

Protik Roychowdhury said...

@arun
thanks man.. :) A lot

Srijan Das said...

Hota hai yaar ... hota hai ...

prank_i_used_to_be said...

aur hamare pujya shikshak saahab ne mere mail tak ka reply nahin diya, muje tabhi samajh aa gaya ki bhench** sab farzi hai..
ab se saala grade pata bhi nahin karenge, xam de ke bas peace maarenge..

Protik Roychowdhury said...

@urmi...
mere mail ka bhi reply nahi kiya...