Friday, May 1, 2009

Either about grahic novels or about sitcoms or another totally arbitrary post

When almost all of your friends have taken up blogging and are now quite regular at it whereas you, the person who started before them all, have for most part almost abandoned it all, there seems an innate desire to go out there and post something or the other... just for the heck of it... just to show the world that you are still there... Well that's just what brought me to this post.
I look around and think what can I write about ? One guy's already written about girls.. one's written about life in kgp... one's written about all his crushes/flings... one guy has also written about graphic novels !! I ask you, what does that leave me to write about ?
Ok, so am I the only person who get's this psuedo writer's block with more regularity than air strikes in Afghanistan ?? I say pseudo because... well we all know that if I qualify to be called a writer then India qualifies as a football superpower... but then keeping that aside, I mean, whats with me and these totally random topics ?? Why the hell can't I get atleast one, just one decent topic to write about...??
Anyway have you ever wondered how many TV series are just different spin offs from F.R.I.E.N.D.S. ..? Presently watching Scrubs, I can't seem to overlook the similarity between JD and Elliot 's on again off again relationship and Ross and Rachael. And I admit that JD and Turk make a great pair.. so did Jeff and Steve in Coupling... ditto for Ted Barney Marshall from How I Met Your Mother.... but none of them, and I repeat, none of them are even a scratch on Joey and Chandler. I mean these two had AMAZING chemistry.. and even though Jeff and Barney make their shows much better than the rest.. Chandler with his ready sarcasm and Joey with his endearing stupidity are a notch and some more above the rest.
But I digress. Where was I ? Oh thats right.. I was searching for a good topic. Coming to the graphic novels, I must admit that it was the hype surrounding the realease of the movie Watchmen that led me to read the graphic novel.. and let me tell you I never expected it to be half as good as it was. Maybe because I thought it was a comic and didn't expect much but it BLEW ME AWAY. Then I read another, then another and before you know it I was deep into the world of graphic novels and let me tell you, if you think that graphic novels are just mere comics and for kids only, then you cannot be more wrong. I personally found most of the graphic novels that I read to be deep, and many layered... unlike the tripe in paperbacks nowadays served as bestsellers. No disrespect to Messrs Tom Clancy, Jackie Collins and other bestsellers and total disrespect to absolute rubbish like Mills and Boon... I would read graphic novels anyday given the opinion that I formed by reading a select few. It is with a new found respect that I now consider Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman to be amongst my favourite authors right up alongside the likes of PG Wodehouse, Douglas Adams, JRR Tolkien, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie etc. Yes that's the amount of respect I have and I bet you will too if you read the graphic novels that I have read (and really liked) and present below ::
  1. V for Vendetta (possibly my favourite, way way way better than the movie)
  2. Watchmen (people claim its overhyped.. NO ITS NOT. The movie ending is more plausible than the one in the graphic novel though)
  3. Sandman (Some episodes are better than the others but overall awesome)
  4. Sin City
  5. From Hell
  6. Batman : The Dark Knight (Sooo dark and Sooo awesome)
  7. The Dark Knight Returns (once you've read the dark knight)
  8. Persepolis (just beacuse I saw the film first and maybe that's why I liked it more)
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Iron Man, 300 are a few others which inspired movies, but the 8 listed above are my choices for anyone... and I guarantee that anyone who reads the 8 listed above will see graphic novels in a whole new light.. unless ofcourse that person has never read anything beyond Tinkle, in which case, this probably wasn't for you... :D.

2 comments:

soumitra kapri said...

who cares for the topic....
likhte raho kuchh bhi..
maja to isime hai..
:)

deepesh said...

U wrote abt all ur friends writing blogs on girls,life.. what abt me???
mere baare mein bhi likha karo saale. :P
and Ya I hav observed tat writing 4 no reason brings out the best in u